POST: Marketing and Communications Officer (Freelance)
LOCATION: This will be a remote working role, working from home with the potential for occasional travel for meetings held either in Sheffield or London.
REPORTING TO: Artistic Director
SALARY: To be Determined
HOURS: 1 day per week (To be Reviewed)
CONTRACT START DATE: 7 DECEMBER 2020
CONTRACT END DATE: 31st March 2021 subject to review
A fantastic opportunity to support the communications and marketing at Utopia Theatre. Utopia Theatre is a producing company formed in 2012 to create for the British and international stage, exceptional world class African theatre with imaginative flair. We create old and new plays and re-imagine classics in a way that demonstrates their contemporary relevance and appeal to a new audience and regular theatregoers. The company synthesises African and Western performing traditions to celebrate the meeting of different cultures, and presents productions in Sheffield and on tour, with programmes aimed at developing and promoting Black writers and performers. The company is dedicated to demonstrating the rich cultural heritage of Africa’s theatre canon, and in so doing, dispel stereotypes and encourage authentic voices from the African Diaspora.
- Lead on creating and delivering marketing strategies for the company in collaboration with the wider team
- Lead on delivering communications and marketing for the Creative Hub
- Lead on creating and delivering marketing campaigns for shows in collaboration with the wider team and venues
- Collect and distribute performance figures to the wider team
- Oversee and input into the company's weekly/monthly newsletters
- Ensure brand cohesion across all platforms and be responsible for creating new ways to raise the profile of the company and its work amongst its stakeholders and audiences
- Manage and coordinate artwork requests
- Manage and update audience database
- Oversee and plan smooth running of Utopia's social media accounts
- Content creation and follower engagement
- Setup and manage social media advertising campaigns
- Build audience reach, engagement and followers
- Be responsible for ensuring the website is up to date
- Support streaming and on-line events
- Advise and propose new ideas for the company to present it’s activity / messages on the website
- Draft press releases where required
- Contact local press and community groups to promote the company/production
- Collate and distribute reviews
- Lead on developing and delivering content plans for on-line fundraising
- Create and deliver content and promotional plans for on-line fundraising campaigns
- Ensure website and social media are a streamlined process and able to support fundraising and facilitate new donations
Internal comms and support
- Deal with day to day, ad hoc queries and be a contact person for communication related queries
- An articulate and confident communicator
- Demonstrable experience of managing a diverse workload; being able to prioritise tasks and work under pressure
- Ability to learn procedures so the charity is compliant with relevant legislation
- Able to undertake some occasional work in the evenings and at weekends
- Able to travel in the UK if required
- Act as the Data Protection Officer for the company and advise on any GDPR guideline and regulations around collecting, managing and using personal data
- Be responsible for keeping audience and stakeholder contact data up to date
- Manage the collection, analysis and presentation of audience / artist data to help the company evaluate its reach and impact on audiences and participants in its work
- Experience of working in a charity
- An ability to analyse data
- Experience of working in a small team
- Excellent digital skills, including experience of content management systems.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a marketing and communications/public relations/digital role and understanding of branding
- Understanding of the basic principles of search engine optimisation, experience of email marketing systems and social media tools
- Proven ability to effectively write and edit copy for different audiences
- Strong organisational and administrative skills including excellent attention to detail and effective time management
- Excellent proofreading, copywriting and editing skills
- Proven ability to upload videos to YouTube and create infographics
- Able to use and access design programmes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with different individuals
- Strong client facing aptitude and communication skills both written and verbal
- A “can-do” attitude and creative approach to a limited marketing budget
- Team Player: works collaboratively and flexibly to achieve outcomes and is keen to add value to the organisation’s culture and ethos
- Committed to the values and ethos of the organisation with a passion for the cause of the charity
- Respectful of diversity; sensitive toward others in their context, situation and challenges; pluralistic, open and understanding toward other people’s values, autonomy, and faiths demonstrates compassion and empathy; is courteous to others with respect for their situation, background, religion, gender and age
Many of these responsibilities will be delivered in collaboration with Utopia Theatre's General Manager.
Please send a CV and covering letter (no more than 2 pages of A4) setting out your interest in and suitability for the role and highlighting why you'd like to work for the Utopia Theatre.
Utopia Theatre is an equal opportunities employer and as such actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable candidates irrespective of age, disability, hidden disability, race or national origin, religion or belief, gender, gender expression, political view, sexual orientation, medical condition and pregnancy.
Please note we will only consider applications with both a CV and covering letter and applications will only be accepted from those with the right to work in the UK with a valid passport/visa.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 15th January. Successfully shortlisted candidates will be notified no later than date. Interviews will be arranged with successful candidates for either Date and will take place via video call with the aim to start work Date (depending on reference checks).