Are you interested in the ways that technology can assist storytelling? Are you interested in site-specific work? Are you available from 28th June – 2nd July 2021?
Utopia Theatre and dreamthinkspeak are looking for 8 Yorkshire based actors, performing artists and theatre-makers to collaborate on a one-week research and development workshop exploring audience interaction with site and live performance through mobile phone technology, within the Sheffield Theatres complex and outdoors.
The workshop will take place over a 5-day period, with an informal showing at the end to an invited audience for comment and feedback.
Paid Role (Equity Rates). If you are interested in participating, please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Job Opportunity: Youth Coordinator
Utopia Theatre is looking for an experienced Youth Coordinator to work with the company on developing a new devised play, rehearsed and performed entirely online.
As part of a new digital theatre project, we are hoping to work with a group of young people aged 16 to 18 to use a variety of filming and streaming technologies in the creation of an innovative piece of online theatre. The Youth Coordinator would be the young people’s primary contact and will be responsible for leading sessions, engaging the young people with the project, and empowering them to take a creative lead on the process.
This role will include:
Communicating with the young people involved digitally and ensuring they engage with the project fully.
- Work alongside the Artistic Director, creative consultants, the Stage Manager, and the Technical Manager to support the running of each rehearsal and the delivery of the final production.
- To support the participants' emotional and mental well-being and to liaise with the rest of the creative team to ensure the rehearsals are a safe environment for all the young people involved to share and create freely.
- To lead sessions in a way that encourages the young people to be creative, collaborative and supportive of each other, as well as ensuring they have the tools to actively contribute to the devising process
- To support the evaluation of the project by sourcing feedback from the young people involved
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience working with young people aged 16-18 from a variety of backgrounds.
- Have experience working with young people in a performing art setting.
- Be able to excite and engage young people in new theatre projects.
- Be approachable and communicate with young people, be able to identify their needs and work alongside a creative team to work around these needs.
- Have experience working with communication and film technologies, including video cameras, smartphones, video calls and social media.
- Be able to work alongside a team of creatives to deliver an innovative theatre project.
- Be able to work flexibly and work on their own initiative and manage their own tasks confidently.
This main portion of this work will be delivered June 26th – July 4th with preparation and planning starting June 5th. A fee of £495 per week is being offered for this work.
If you are interested in this role, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] by May 14th.
Become a Utopia Ambassador
Are you passionate about theatre? Would you like to know more about theatre from Africa and the African Diaspora? Do you want to be part of a movement to nurture and grow African Theatre in Sheffield and beyond? Do you want to support us to dispel stereotypes and tell authentic African stories?
Utopia Theatre is a leading voice for African Theatre locally, nationally and internationally. We are looking for dedicated and passionate ambassadors to help continue our important work and help expand our community and welcome those who otherwise don’t engage with theatre and the performing arts.
Our ambassadors will:
- Help with the Front of House at some of our community events and workshops.
- Help coordinate our larger community events and support all community members to engage with the vibrant and diverse artforms we showcase.
- Work alongside the Utopia Theatre staff to support the marketing and promotion of Utopia Theatre productions, including flyering for shows and promoting events in your personal networks.
- Support our community engagement by being champions of our work both in their own communities and online.
- Represent the values and mission of Utopia Theatre in all the work they do with us.
In return, Utopia Theatre can offer:
- Complimentary tickets to our productions, including invitations to Press Shows
- Free attendance to our workshops and community events, with opportunities to learn from prominent theatremakers and creatives from around the world.
- Opportunities to learn how Utopia Theatre creates their work and a behind-the-scenes look at our process
- Personal Acknowledgement of your support in our programmes and on our website.
If you are interested in joining the team as a Utopia Ambassador, email [email protected]